Rev. Daniel W. Bond
The oftentimes thrilling scenes through which the pioneer settlers passed in the early development of this portion of the State must ever awaken emotions of warmest regard for them. To pave the way for those who followed they endured much and suffered much, having in view, it cannot be doubted, not only the good they might acquire for themseIves (sic) and their children, but the welfare of future generations. But few of these spirits now survive; they have passed away full of years and honors, leaving sometimes only strangers to succeed them, but, notwithstanding, the pleasures and labors of a busy world will absorb the thoughts to a large extent of the people of to-day; still there are times when the lives of the pioneers are brought to remembrance and there is accorded them the appreciation which they so justly earned. The career of the gentleman named in connection with this sketch, and one of the early settlers of this county, has been one eminently honorable and one to which his descendents may revert with pride in coming years.
The native place of our subject was Washington, Wayne Co., Ind., and the date of his birth Nov. 28, 1835. His father, Silas W. Bond, was born in York County, Pa., and married Miss Rebecca Williams, who was born in the city of Philadelphia. The parents of each emigrated to Indiana at an early day and the young people were married in Wayne County, that State. Thence they removed to this county in May, 1848, settling in Nora Township, of which they were residents until the spring of 1866. Finally, deciding to cross the Mississippi, they took up their abode in Iowa Falls, Iowa, where they now live.
To the parents of our subject there were born six children, three sons and three daughters, of whom Daniel W. was the eldest. He was a lad of thirteen years when he first came to this county, and has since been a resident of Nora Township. He pursued his first studies in the common schools, and later attended school two years in Mt. Morris Academy, Ill. Up to the age of twenty-five years he gave his attention, aside from this, wholly to farming pursuits.
Young Bond, however, had been piously inclined from his youth up, and at the age mentioned identified himself with the Wesleyan Methodist Church. He had heretofore exhibited more than ordinary talent as a speaker, and three years after uniting with the church was licensed as an exhorter, and two years after as a local preacher. He assumed the pastorate of the Chelsea Church, in Nora Township, in September, 1867, and remained with it a period of twelve years, when he was assigned by the conference to Caledonia. Boone Co., Ill. A year later we find him stationed at Diamond Lake; in Lake County, where he remained two years, then returned to his old charge, the Chelsea Church, with which he abided five years. Afterward he traveled as an Evangelist through Northern Illinois. During the year 1888 he officiated once more as pastor of the Chelsea Church, but is at present engaged in evangelistic work.
In the meantime Mr. Bond has purchased land, and has now a fine farm of 200 acres, with all modern improvements. His industry and good judgment has enabled him to build up a valuable homestead, and his love of nature has made agricultural pursuits a pleasure and a pastime. To the lady who has presided over his household for a period of nearly thirty years, and who in her girlhood was Miss Matilda Shaw, he was married in Nora Township, Dec. 25, 1860. Mrs. Bond was born in this township, April 8, 1842, and is the daughter of the late Enos and Sila (Phippen) Shaw, who removed from Allegany County, N. Y., to Northern Illinois about 1838, being among the earliest settlers of this county. Her parents were natives of Massachusetts and Vermont respectively. Their first location was near the present site of Chelsea Church, where the father operated as an agriculturist, and where both parents spent the remainder of their days. Their family consisted of twelve children - four sons and eight daughters. Betsey, one of the daughters, was the first white child born in Nora Township.
Mrs. Bond was trained by an excellent mother to all useful housewifely duties, and received her education in the common school. She remained under the parental roof until her marriage, and by her union with our subject is the mother of six children: Their eldest, John W., is farming in Hardin County, Iowa; Silas W. is pursuing his studies in Wheaton College, as are also George W. and Alvin S.; Nellie M. and Henry P. are at home with their parents. Mr. Bond, politically, was in former years a Republican, but his warm interests in the temperance work led him to identify himself with the Prohibitionists, among whom he has been quite prominent, and in the fall of 1888 was made their candidate for the State Legislature, his opponent being George W. Pepoon. He served a period of eight years as Supervisor of Nora Township; has also been Highway Commissioner and a School Director in his district for a period of thirty years. Both he and his excellent wife take a warm interest in educational matters, believing that the young should be given all the advantages possible in order to fit them for worthy and useful members of the community. Mrs. Bond is a very estimable lady, and has proved in all respects a most efficient helpmate to her husband, encouraging him in his worthy ambitions and performing her part well in maintaining the reputation of the family.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Jo Daviess Co., IL (1889)