The family of this name is widely and favorably known throughout Ward's Grove Township. The subject of this sketch operates 120 acres of his father's land, and usually land elsewhere to the extent of eighty acres. The homestead has good improvements, and Mr. F. is the owner of a fine herd of cattle. In addition to his farming operations, he makes a specialty of thrashing, and is considered one of the leading men carrying on this business in Jo Davies County. The parental history will be found in the biography of his brother, William Finkenbinder, on another page of this volume.
The subject of this sketch was born near Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Pa., Oct. 13, 1847. When of suitable age he attended school about six months in the year until reaching his majority. When not in school he assisted his father in the labors of the farm. He remained in his native county until a youth of nineteen years, and then accompanied his parents to Northern Illinois, they settling in Ward's Grove Township in 1866. Emanuel worked with his father for a period of six years thereafter, and then rented the farm adjoining that of his father until 1874. In 1876 he removed to his present place, and superintended the improvements which were at that time being made uponit (sic). There is a good barn, 40x70 feet in area, and a comfortable dwelling, 24x30 feet. Mr. F. refenced (sic) a goodly portion of the land, and the whole is well watered and fertile. He avails himself of labor-saving machinery, including the double-harpooned hay-fork. His cattle are the graded Short-horns, of which he keeps about thirty head, and his seven head of horses are graded English draft animals. Two teams are employed in operating the farm. Mr. F. also has about fifty head of Poland-China swine. His thrashing operations are carried on in partnership with his brother John, and they have followed this seventeen seasons in succession, wearing out four machines.
Mr. Finkenbinder was married at Babb's Grove, Stephenson Co., Ill., Dec. 29, 1874, to Miss Julia A., daughter of Mr. and Elizabeth (Clay) Culbertson, who were natives respectively of Ohio and Pennsylvania. The maternal grandfather, Christian Clay, also a native of Pennsylvania, was a well educated man, and officiated as Principal of the public schools until his removal to Ohio. He established his residence in the latter State, where his death took place in 1866. The father of Mrs. Finkenbinder was reared to man's estate in Ohio, and shortly after his marriage was drowned, in 1847. The mother then returned to Pennsylvania, and made her home with her cousin there until her death, in 1851. Mrs. F. was their only child, and was born in Mercer County, Ohio, Jan. 30, 1847. She was taken by her mother to Pennsylvania, and after the death of the latter was adopted by her uncle, Jacob Clay, with whom she remained until reaching womanhood. Afterward she maintained herself until her marriage. Of this union there have been born five children, namely - David A., William A. (who died when five years old), Martin, Louisa M., Mary A., and Emma B. Both Mr. and Mrs. F. are members of the Evangelical Church at Kent, with which Mr. F. has been connected for more than twenty years. Politically, he supports the principles of the Democratic party, has served on the Grand and Petit Juries, officiated as Road Supervisor, and been a School Director in his district for a period of six years.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Jo Daviess Co., IL (1889)