Apple River Township
Jo Daviess County, Illinois
The Township of Apple River had for its first settlers Daniel Robbins, Melzer Robbins, William Colvin and later came the Maynards and Levitts, also Lot L. Dimmick, William Hudson and Samuel Warner. The village of Apple River was incorporated on the 18th day of July, 1876, and was the fourth of the cities and villages to become incorporated in Jo Daviess County. Where the village of Apple River now stands was originally called "Bean's Mound," after a man who had a blacksmith situated near what was then called the Big Woods. The village of Apple River is an enterprising place and is keeping up with the spirit of the age.
(This section is taken from the book "History of Jo Daviess County 1904)
Return to Cities & Townships
Send comments & suggestions to our County Coordinator