List of Members
of the First Presbyterian Church
This list was takend from "A Brief History of the First Presbyterian Church, Galena, Illinois, for the use of its Members. Also, the Confession of Faith, Covenant, and Rules of Said Church, with a Catalogue of its Members. Galena: Printed by W. C. E. Thomas, 1845."
LIST OF MEMBERS Adams, Benjamin - 1844 Adams, James - 1845 Adams, Orville N. - 1844 Adams, Susan - 1844 Adsit, Elizabeth - 1842 Allen, Isaac C. - 1840 Allen, Maria - 1837 Backus, Ebenezer - 1841 Backus, Stephen - 1841 Bardwell, Orastus - 1844 Beebe, Thomas H. - 1845 Bettis, Jeremiah - 1837 Bettis, Catalina - 1837 Bettis, Sarah J. - 1840 Bergman, Fred E. - 1844 Burge, Amelia - 1844 Blakeslee, Deborah - 1841 Blair, Grace, 1843 Blood, Varnum J. - 1841 Benton, Addison P. - 1840 Benton, Armena - 1847 Bockius, Joseph R. - 1842 Bockius, Mary A. - 1842 Bond, Eli A. - 1844 Boyd, Adam - 1842 Boggess, Louisa - 1842 Bostwick, William C. - 1842 Bostwick, Ann E. - 1842 Bradley, William H. - 1838 Bradley, Sophronia I. - 1841 Bradley, A. Baker - 1844 Bouton, Amelia - 1844 Burnet, Abigail - 1843 Breath, Edward - 1839 Brookes, Joshua - 1843 Brush, Ruben W. - 1844 Brush, Sarah - 1834 Brush, Harriet - 1844 Brush, Henry L. - 1844 Brush, Caroline - 1844 Brush, Mary E. - 1839 Buel, Alfred - 1844 Buel, Celinda - 1844 Buel, Sarah - 1844 Buel, Eliza - 1844 Brown, Adam - 1844 Brown, Rachel - 1844 Brown, Adeline - 1844 Brownlee, Charlotte S. - 1843 Byers, Wilhelmina - 1844 Campbell, Amasa B. - 1836 Campbell, Mary A. - 1836 Campbell, Benj J. - 1840 Campbell, James - 1842 Campbell, Harriet - 1842 Campbell, Geo. W. - 1844 Childs, Lois - 1840 Clayton, Margaret - 1837 Chatelain, Louis - 1840 Chatelain, Julia - 1837 Chatelain, Frederick - 1840 Chatelain, Aug. L. - 1840 Churchill, Enoch - 1843 Church, Harriet B. - 1842 Charles, John Q. - 1844 Collins, George O. - 1844 Corrins, Mary - 1843 Cornell, John S. - 1842 Clendenin, Henrietta - 1844 Crocker, Richard - 1836 Crocker, Penelope - 1842 Crocker, John L. - 1844 Crocker, Elizabeth - 1844 Crowell, Samuel S. - 1844 Crowell, Phebe - 1840 Cumberland, John - 1844 Curtis, Abigail - 1842 Dodds, Andrew - 1844 Dodds, Elizabeth - 1842 Dodds, Andrew 2d - 1842 Dodds, Fanny - 1844 Dodge, Jonathan - 1844 Dow, Mary - 1842 Duncan, Sarah J. - 1843 Dunlap, Wesley - 1840 Eads, Caroline - 1842 Ellis, Elizabeth A. - 1842 Estey, Augustus - 1837 Estey, Julia - 1840 Edmondson, Esther - 1845 Felt, B. Franklin - 1842 Fenton, Emeline S. - 1842 Fiddler, Eliza - 1844 Fowler, Julia A. - 1844 Frysinger, Jacob - 1844 Frysinger, Agnes - 1844 Fuller, George W. - 1836 Fuller, Emeline F. - 1836 Ferguson, George - 1844 Ferguson, Virginia - 1844 Garner, John - 1845 Graham, Ebenezer - 1841 Graham, Sarah B. - 1842 Gratiot - Susan - 1831 Green, Sophronia - 1840 Green, William H. - 1842 Haines, Andrew M. - 1844 Hammond, Maria - 1842 Henny, Jane - 1840 Haines, Angeline W. - 1844 Haines, Sylvester H. - 1844 Hallett, Moses - 1842 Hallett, Eunice - 1842 Hallett, James - 1842 Hallett, Timothy - 1842 Hallett, Lucy A. - 1842 Halsey, Jeffrey F. - 1844 Hinckley, Nathaniel - 1844 Hinckley, Mary - 1844 Hinckley, Narcissa - 1844 Hoge, Jane E. - 1844 Hoge, Catharine - 1844 Hathaway, Mary - 1842 Hathaway, Abraham - 1831 Hazel, Sarah - 1844 Hempstead, Chas. S. - 1840 Hempstead, Eliza - 1831 Hempstead, William - 1844 Hempstead, C. W. - 1844 Hicks, G. D.- 1841 Hicks, Abigail - 1841 Higgins, Eunice - 1844 Hodgin, Abner F. - 1844 Hodgin, Mary P. - 1824 [sic] Howard, Jane - 1844 Husted, Sally A. - 1843 Jackson, Melancthon - 1844 Jacobs, Pyam - 1842 Jacobs, Clarissa - 1842 Jacobs, Betsy - 1844 Jenkins, William - 1844 Jones, Narcissa - 1834 Keeler, James - 1842 Keeler, Hannah - 1842 Keeler, J. Franklin - 1844 Keeler, Elizabeth - 1841 Kent, Caroline C. - 1833 Kendall, John - 1844 Kendall, Lillis - 1844 Lamberson, Delia - 1844 Leadley, Margaret - 1843 Lockwood, V. LeRoy - 1845 Longuet, Francis - 1840 Longuet, Rhoda - 1840 Loughrey, Benjamin - 1845 McRea, Richard - 1840 McCorristen, Cath. - 1842 McDonald, Alex. - 1841 McLenathan, Eliza - 1843 McLay, Agnes - 1844 McLay, John - 1844 McQuestion, Louisa - 1842 Marble, Oliver - 1844 Marble, Helen - 1844 Marble, Bulkley - 1844 Mars, Gerhart H. - 1844 Mars, Charlotte - 1842 Miller, Rhoda - 1844 Mitchell, Israel - 1834 Monier, Samuel - 1840 More, Maria - 1844 Morrel, Richard - 1844 Morrel, Mary J. 1844 Nelson, Horatio - 1844 Nelson, Relief - 1844 Newhall, Horatio - 1835 Newhall, Penelope P. - 1833 Norris, Ralph S. - 1840 Norris, Phebe - 1837 Oliver, Isabella - 1839 Oliver, Susan - 1839 Osborn, John F. - 1844 Osborn, Jane E. - 1844 Osborn, George W. - 1844 Osborn, Enoch B. - 1843 Parker, Norman - 1843 Parker, James - 1843 Parker, Cynthia - 1845 Park, Henry C. - 1841 Park, Sarah W. - 1836 Parsons, Budd - 1844 Pomeroy, Watson P. - 1844 Phelps, Samuel W. - 1844 Perkins, Alima - 1844 Plumstead, Matthew - 1844 Potts, Margaret - 1844 Pratt, Eliza C. - 1836 Purdy, Joseph - 1844 Quinche, Julia - 1837 Quinche, Louis - 1837 Quinche, Alexander - 1843 Reed, Lucy - 1844 Reed, John - 840 Reed, Catharine - 1842 Reed, Elizabeth - 1844 Reed, Sarah G. L. - 1837 Ripley, Edwin - 1840 Ripley, Louisa - 1840 Reppy, Burrell S. - 1844 Reppy, Rebecca N. - 1844 Reppy, Margaret C. - 1844 Rohmann, A. B. - 1845 Safford, George - 1844 Safford, Mahala - 1844 Schirmer, Philip F. - 1840 Snow, Ruth - 1842 Simpson, John D. - 1844 Smith, P. G. - 1844 Smith, Jehiel B. - 1844 Spare, James - 1838 Spare, Ruth - 1838 Spare, Esther, 1840 Spratt, Amelia - 1844 Spratt, Ellen P. - 1844 Stillman, Nelson - 1838 Stillman, Louisa C. - 1844 Stevens, Sarah - 1843 Strawbridge, Mary - 1834 Strawbridge, Wm. - 1840 Strode, Mary - 1845 Strode, Mary E. - 1844 Strother, Eliz. W. - 1844 Switzer, Walter - 1840 Temple, James - 1842 Thomas, Chas. G. - 1844 Thomas, Elizabeth - 1841 Thompson, Caro. M. - 1837 Thompson, Edwin C. - 1837 Telford, Andrew - 1844 Telford, Ann - 1841 Telford, Adam - 1840 Townsend, Francis - 1842 Telford, Ann - 1844 Townsend, Elizabeth - 1842 Trimley, Susan - 1844 Wood, Jeremiah - 1841 Wann, Daniel - 1840 Wells, Mary - 1840 Wells, Thomas G. - 1844 Witherbee, Hiram - 1837 Witherbee, Expe'nce - 1844 Willis, Henry - 1844 Wilson, John - 1844 Wonderlee, Eliz. - 1843 Wood, Elizabeth - 1840
The First Presbyterian Church in Galena was organized October 23, 1831, by Rev. A. Kent, who had been laboring there since April, 1829, in the service of the American Home Missionary Society. It consisted of the following members: Abraham Hathaway, Abraham Miller, Eliza Barnes, Ann Crow, Susan Gratiot and Isabella McKibbins. Two only, and those females, resided in the village; the others lived at various distances, from five to forty miles.
There were, at that date, but very few professors of religion of any denomination in this district of country, and at the first communion season the Methodist Minister assisted, and alluded to the circumstance of its being "the first sacramental occasion in this district of country, for a distance of several hundred miles."
In consequence of the absence of the Missionary, and the confusion attending the Indian War, the Church were not called together again until the winter of 1833. Since that time, this branch of Christ's visible Church has continued to live in harmony, and to enjoy the smiles of her adorable Head, as will appear from the following summary:
There were added to the Church in--
1833 ........................................ 14 members
1834 ........................................ 19 members
1835 ........................................ 6 members
1836 ........................................ 16 members
1837 ........................................ 22 members
1838 ........................................ 11 members
1839 ........................................ 7 members
1840 ........................................ 46 members
1841 ........................................ 26 members
1842 ........................................ 53 members
1843 ........................................ 18 members
1844 ....................................... 119 members
There have been received, on examination, two hundred and five, and by letter, one hundred and fifty-seven; making in all, three hundred and sixty-four; of these, one hundred and seventy-one are males, and one hundred and ninety-three females.
Of this number seventeen have died, three have been suspended, and six excommunicated. The number of those who have taken letters to sister Churches is sixty-four, and ten have taken letters to other evangelical denominations, and there are nine whose prejudices have led them to withdraw irregularly, but against whom no charge of immorality has been brought, leaving the whole number of members, now in good standing two hundred and fifty-five.
The Rev. Aratus Kent was installed first Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Galena by the Presbytery of Galena, on the 29th day of April, A.D. 1841.
RULES AND NOTICES.
1. Public worship for Lord's Day commences punctually at half-past ten o'clock, A.M., throughout the year.
2. The seasons of Sacramental Communion occur on the first Sabbath in January, March, May, July, September and November.
3. The Church Session meets at some appointed place, for the purpose of conversing with candidates for admission to the Church; the time and place are statedly given out.
4. A Lecture preparatory to the administration of the Sacrament, is delivered Saturday evening, next preceding the solemnity.
5. On Tuesday night, next after every Communion, there is a meeting of the communicants with the Pastor and Elders, the object of which is, to promote christian acquaintance, and especially to introduce those lately admitted to the Church.
6. A general prayer-meeting is held every Saturday evening in the week.
7. The Monthly Concert of prayer for the conversion of the world attended on the first Monday evening of every month.
8. The Children of the Church and Congregation are instructed in the Shorter Catechism at such times as the Pastor may designate.
9. A Sunday School is held every Sabbath. Children, youth and adults are admitted, and books furnished them free of expense.
10. Adults are baptized immediately before their reception into the Church. The ordinance is administered to the children of professing parents, at any public meeting for worship, on the parents sending to the Pastor a scrip (legibly written,) containing the names of the subject and the parents, and the date of the child's birth, for record.
11. It is proper that individuals should seek acquaintance with the Elders. Persons spiritually concerned or thoughtful, will always be welcome to the attention of any of the Elders, and to visit them with this design, at their own houses. The sick, especially, should send for the Elders or Pastor.
12. It is the duty of the Church Members to WATCH OVER EACH OTHER, and to give and receive faithful counsel "in the spirit of meekness;" and it is their duty, where private admonition is found unavailing, to report the matter to the Pastor or Session. To this neglected duty, their mutual relations and covenant engagements before the Lord, their spiritual welfare and the honor of religion, oblige them. And be it remembers, that universal righteousness in the common relations of life, a principled abstraction from all vain amusements, and a strict fidelity to engagements are imperative duties of our holy profession.
13. It is the duty of every member to practice simplicity in dress and mode of living.
14. No person belonging to another Church will be permitted to have occasional communion with us for more than one year, except by vote of Session.
15. Persons who are to be received into this Church, must be examined and propounded two Sabbaths before they are received, except that the Session shall vote to dispense with this rule.
16. Those who have occasion to remove should ask letters of recommendation to sister Churches.
17. A collection will be taken up for the poor of the Church, and to provide the elements for the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, at each Communion.