L.D. Pitcher - Frayed Clipping from unknown newspaper

As It Should Be
Mr. L. D. Pitcher, the ________ our County Telephone _________
Now that it is well established ________ growing beyond his capacity, decided to make a stock company of it and give our people a chance to own an interest and share in the management and profits, which we are assured are all right ________ and will increase rapidly as _______ number of phones increase. ________ predict that there will be few ________ in the county in a few years ________ will not have a telephone line, ________ this new company will have ________ capital to build with. Mr. M. Murphy of Warren now has the subscription list for stock and will be please to call on all those that may wish to sign for some and give them all the required information. Shares are $100 each but will not need to be paid until October, when they will receive their certificates. It has been decided to call it the Pitcher Telephone company, and as the Bell Co have a bell painted on their poles, signs, etc this company can have a “pitcher” which will be fully appropriate. The incorporators are: Robert Hawley, W. H. Glasgow and James Bay_____ of Warren, W. Ford and _______Hughlett of Galena, M. H. Hammond of Stockton, and L. D. Pitcher of Dixon.

Biographical info:
Lester D. Pitcher was born in 1839 in Lewis Co NY. In 1863, after serving in the Civil War, he moved with his wife Harriett and son Richard Everett to Pitcherville, JoDaviess Co. There he built and ran a general store and served as Pitcherville’s first postmaster starting in January 1868. A daughter Mary Lavina and a second son Grant Washburn were born at Pitcherville. Then in 1871 Lester moved to Dixon, Lee County IL and engaged in the coal, implement, and buggy business. He started the Lee County phone company about 1896 and brought telephone service to JoDaviess Co by financing the Pitcher Telephone Company.

Our thanks to Wendy Fjelstad, Greatgreatgranddaughter of Lester and Harriett Pitcher

Galena Weekly Gazette 2/2/83 p3 c5

Granted a Pension
Mr. Thomas H. Hudson, of this city, has received information through Hon. R. R. Hitt, of the granting by the Interior Department, of a certificate of pension to Mrs. Jane Davis, of Apple River, a lady about 80 years of age, who lost her only son and support, John Davis, Jr., during the war. The deceased was a Sergeant of Company "B" 142nd Illinois Vols, and contracted lung disease while on a raid after General Price in Missouri, in the winter of 1864. Mrs. Price (sic) receives $8 per month, the certificate dating back to August 29, 1865, the time of her son's death. The back pension due her therefore, amounts to $1,700. Mr Hodson has been prosecuting the claim for the last three years.

A very pleasant matrimonial event came off at the Desoto House last evening, March 20. Mr. George C. Davis, of Pleasant Valley, and Miss Lucinda Krell, of Stockton, were joined in marriage by Rev. Fr. Schaub. Among the friends present from abroad, were Arthur Marshman, Wm. J. Davis, Miss Clara Davis and Miss Lizzie Williams; besides several from Galena. Mr. and Mrs. Davis left this morning for Stitzer, Wis., their future home. Many well wishes from friends present and others absent accompany the couple in their future life.

Submitted by Melany Granville

"The Galena Weekly Gazette", Galena, IL, Jo Daviess County, dated 3/23/83 p3 c8.
Submitted by Melany Granville

Very Desirable Residence For Sale
I offer for sale my two and one-half story brick dwelling house, situated on the corner of Hill and Prospect streets, Galena, Ill.

On the first floor of said dwelling are double parlors, a sitting room, dining room, kitchen and wood room. On the second floor is a sitting room and four bedrooms, and in the attic are too (sic) large sleeping rooms. The cellar under the house is 25 by 28 feet, and ten feet high. There is also attached to said premises a 200 barrel cistern; also a drilled well of never-failing water. Also a barn with stable room for three horses.

The house and all surroundings is in good repair within and without. If not sold by the 5th day of May, 1883, the house will be sold by auction.

For further particulars apply to WILLIAM SPENSLEY, or to the understated.


March 13, 1883
Article from Galena Weekly Gazette dated 3/23/83 p3
Submitted by Melany Granville

In Brief
Three weddings to-night.

We are enjoying Indian summer weather to-day.

Mr. C. (? or O) A. Blanchard, of Darlingson, is in the city to-day on business.

Capt. Jacob Fawcett arrived home yesterday from an official trip to Darlington.

Messrs. Olliver & Cragin received an order yesterday for a thousand dollar monument from parties at Galena, Ill. - Dubuque Times.

Freeport Journal: Miss Sadie Helm and brother Joe, of Galena, are in the city, in attendance at the Middleditch-Hunter nuptials.

Mrs. Cole of Windhan, N. H., declares that her life was saved by Hood's Sarsaparilla. She had 37 terrible Scrofulous sores.

The Double Uncle Tom's Cabin company played to a fair audience last evening, and gave good satisfaction.

A literary club is shortly to be organized in this city. The meetings are to be held in the Baptist church, and a course of first-class lectures is promised.

Frankie Darrah, aged 6 years, son of Collector James Darrah, of Freeport, accidentally fell into a cistern yesterday morning.

Submitted by Melany Granville
Articles from Galena Weekly Gazette dated 9/28/83 p2 transcribed below:

In Brief
It is imprudent to be without St. Jacobs Oil, for pain is everywhere.

The Illinois Central pay car passed through here last Saturday.

The late Patrick Hammell was 70 years of age last March.

Mr. Chas. A. Fowler departed this morning for Chicago, to complete his medical course.

Mr. H. P. Caverly, of East Dubuque, has gone to New Hampshire to attend a family reunion.

Mr. And Mrs. Eli Oettinger and wife, of Freeport, spent the Sabbath in Galena, the guests of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Louchhelm.

Dr. F. C. Schaefer and wife left this morning for their home in Chicago, after a brief though pleasant visit with friends in this city.

Mr. John Berreman, of Minaunk, Ill., a former well known Galena boy, is in the city visiting his uncle, Henry Berreman, residing on Seminary Hill.

The game of ball played Saturday afternoon at Dubuque, between the Stars of Chicago, and the Dubuques, was won by the former club, in a score of 9 to 5.

W. D. McHugh, attorney-at-law, will leave to-morrow morning for Minneapolis, where he is to take up his future residence, engaging in the practice of law with his brother, J. V. McHugh, Esq. We bespeak for both gentlemen a brilliant future.

The funeral of the late Patrick Hammel, who died suddenly on the Market Square last Saturday, will take place from the family residence on the East side, to-morrow (Tuesday) at 2 o'clock P. M. Services at St. Michael's Catholic church at 2:30.

Mrs. Elizabeth Foltz, of Iowa City, Ia., widow of the late H. W. Foltz, of Galena, is in the city visiting at the residence of C. R. Perkins, Esq. Her daughter, Miss Louis Foltz, is expected next week.

John Richards, of Rice, Drowned in Galena River
Galena Daily Gazette
16 June 1887

John Richards, a laborer on the Minnesota & Northwestern R. R., in Rice Township, under foreman Storms, was drowned a short distance above the mouth of Galena river, between 7 and 8 o’clock Wednesday evening. It appears that Richards and three of his laboring companions, after quitting work and eating their supper, went down to the river and went bathing. They had been in but a few minutes when Richards sank to the bottom. His companions did all in their power to rescue him, but their efforts were futile. The body did not rise to the surface after sinking, and has not, at this writing, been recovered. The river was dragged and everything possible done to recover the body, but without avail. The unfortunate man was about 35 years of age and unmarried. He formerly lived in Galena and was in the employ of Mrs. Schuyler of Rice Township for many years.

The Body of John Richards, who was Drowned in Galena River, Found
Galena Daily Gazette
17 June 1887

The body of John Richards, the man who was drowned near the mouth of Galena river Wednesday evening, was recovered about 4 o’clock Thursday afternoon. All of Richards’ associates, when they heard of the unfortunate occurrence, quit work, and instituted a search which resulted in finding the body a short distance below the place where he was drowned. Coroner Passmore was then summoned and held an inquest. The jury returned a verdict of “accidental drowning.” It transpires that Richards was unable to swim, but had found a deep place in the river and undertook to dive. In our report of the accident in Thursday’s Gazette, we stated that he did not rise to the surface after sinking. In this we were erroneous. After sinking, he rose to the surface, gasped to his companions that he was drowning, and then started to sink the second time, when one of his companions managed to get a hold of him and started to swim to the shore, but before they reached it he lost his hold and the unfortunate man sank to the bottom and that was the last seen of him until the recovery of the body Thursday afternoon.

The remains were interred to-day in the Old Log Church Cemetery. The deceased was very popular among the men with whom he worked.

Found Dead in the Road
Gregory Dignan, a single man about 39 years of age, residing with his widowed mother, in Guilford township, was found dead on Sunday morning, in the road near Henry Bastian's and about one mile from his own home. He was lying face downward, and on the ground, under one leg, was a revolver with three of the chambers empty. Esquire John W. Sheetz was notified, also Sheriff Winters, Dr. B. F. Fowler, Prosecuting Attorney Wagdin, and Assistant Marshal Hony (?) of this city. The word brought to Galena was to the effect that Dignan had either committed suicide or had been foully murdered, as his head was pierced with bullets, and his body otherwise mutilated. The sheriff and posse quickly rode out to the scene of the supposed tragedy, and ascertained on their arrival that it was a case of accidental death purely, Dignan having fallen on the ground, while intoxicated, with his face downward, and that being too drunk to move, or having been partially stunned by the fall, he lay there until suffocated or strangled to death. The deceased was in Galena on Saturday evening with Supervisor James Sheean, with whom he rode as far as the forks of the highway near Henry Bastian's, when he got out and started for his own home, a mile further on. He was seen passing up the road after dark by Mr. Bastian, and was observed to be very drunk at the time, and scarcely able to navigate. Soon after passing Mr. Bastian's house, the latter and others in that neighborhood heard three shots distinctly, from a revolver. At the inquest two theories were advanced as to the shooting. One was, that Dignan may have imagined while crazed from drink, that some one was following him, and that he fired his revolver at the supposed pursuer, and starting to run had stumbled and fallen on his face. Another, that Dignan after falling, had fired the revolver to attract attention and gain assistance from those in the neighborhood. The inquest was held at the home of the deceased, in Guilford township, before Esquire Sheetz acting for the Coroner. The body was carefully examined by Dr. Fowler, who discovered no marks of violence upon his person, and who testified that Dignan came to his death from suffocation, by falling in the road, face downwards, while (from indications) too drunk to help himself. After the hearing of other witnesses, a verdict in accordance with the facts was rendered. The father of Dignan died several years ago, at the Poor House in this county. He was insane for several years, and one of the most cunning and dangerous lunatics ever confined in the asylum.

Funeral of the Late Mrs. Annie L. Cloran.
The funeral of the late Mrs. Annie L. Cloran took place yesterday afternoon, from St. Michael's church, which was crowded with all classes of our people, despite the inclemency of the weather. Services were conducted by Rev. Father Hishen, assistant pastor. The body reposed in a beautiful casket, which was literally covered with flowers. At the conclusion of the services the remains were viewed by the vast congregation, moving in procession past the coffin, each one casting sorrowful eyes upon the inanimate form lying enshrouded within. The remains were subsequently escorted by a lengthy procession to the cemetery on the East Side, and consigned to the grave. The bearers were his honor Mayor T. J. Sheean, T. L. McDermott, M. Beaton, Dennis Rochford, L. A. Rowley and T. W. Hogan.

Suicide at Council Hill Station.
The dreadful suicide of Esquire Erhard Dittmar, of Derinda, on Tuesday morning, September 17, was followed up by another case of self murder, which occurred yesterday morning, at Council Hill Station, the unfortunate victim being William Davis, aged 22 years, third son of Jacob David, a well known and highly respected carpenter and builder of that township. From Mr. John Davis, uncle of the deceased, we learn that the latter was brought home sick about two months ago from Nebraska, after an absence from Council Hill of about three years, and that his disease was pronounced to be ulceration of the bowels, from which he was a great sufferer. On Saturday night, William and his father occupied adjoining rooms on the ground floor of the Davis residence, while a sister of deceased slept upstairs. The door between the two rooms below was partly open, so that the father could attend to his son, should he need anything during the night. On Sunday morning, the father of the young man got up to light the fire, and after doing so, he went into his son's room to ascertain his condition, and was surprised to find the apartment empty, and the door leading to the back yard slightly ajar. He commenced a search at once about the premises, and in a few moments thereafter discovered the lifeless body of his son suspended from the lower limb of a large oak tree standing by the fence in the stable yard. Esquire Wm. Passmore, Acting Coroner was at once notified, after which the body was cut down by Mr. John Davis, uncle of the deceased, assisted by his son Alvin, and taken to the house. A coroner's jury was empanelled, consisting of J. B. Parkins, foreman, George Leekley, Julius Schaffmeyer, Samuel Murray, Mr. Williamson, and George Thompson, and the inquest held before Wm. Passmore. At the examination, testimony adduced to the effect that the deceased had left his bed some time during the night, supposed to be about 3 o'clock Sunday morning. That he dressed himself throughout, and putting on his hat, went out into the orchard about 50 yards from the house, untied a calf which had been made fast to a tree, and taking the rope, proceeded about 25 yards further to an oak tree in the stable yard. Arriving here he deliberately climbed upon the fence close to the tree, tied one end of the rope around the limb, and made a noose of the other end, which he placed around his neck, after which he slid off the fence. The body was found with the back to the tree and the feet about 36 inches from the ground. The circumstances attending the finding of the body, tended to confirm the statements of the witnesses as to the manner in which he met his death. The jury rendered a verdict to the effect that death was caused by self-strangulation as above described, and that deceased committed the act while suffering from mental aberration brought on by long continued illness. The young man is said to have been kind hearted and generous in disposition, and industrious and temperate in his habits. The funeral will take place to-morrow, at 10 o'clock A.M., from the family residence in Council Hill Station.

For Sale or Rent.
That handsome residence on Be?? street, formerly owned by H?? Louis Shissler. Apply to the undersigned.

Land for Sale.
I offer for sale my pasture farm land, situated in East Galena, one-half mile from the Illinois Central depot, containing eighteen and one-half acres of land. For terms apply at my residence on Common street, rear of DeSoto House.
MES. WM. Foeck
March 23 ----x

Mrs. L. Frnechtenicht, formerly known as Miss Lu Seitzberg, has returned to this city to make it her future home. She will give lessons in the piano and organ, and after years of study and practice she will be able to give perfect satisfaction. Also private instruction in the German and French language will be given if desired. Terms reasonable. Inquire at her residence, Washington Street, on the hill, right behind the old cemetery.

The above articles submitted by Melany Granville.