Jo Daviess County, Illinois
It is quite probable that the early settlers, of the Township of Stockton were attracted to that part of the county by its lead mines, as the county was pretty thoroughly prospected for such mines, and quite a quantity of lead ore has been raised within its borders. Henry Rice, John Hayes, John Wilkins, Elanson and Benjamin Parker, William Stainer and Asahel Morse were among its earliest settlers. George L. Dow, Chester Parker and the Johnsons came at a later date. In the southeast part of the township, near where the lead mines were, Mr. Morse planted a village which was called Morseville, but it never became incorporated. For a time it was a very busy, thriving place, and was a point of considerable importance. Later the Chicago Great Western Railroad Company built its lines through the northern portion of this township, and a village was laid out in Sections 11 and 12 called Stockton. It became incorporated on the 15th of April, 1890, and from the day it was first platted, it has continued to grow until, today, it is one of the most important villages in the county. Its people are intelligent and progressive. It has the finest and best equipped public school building in the county. It owns its water plant and, from the hill where the standpipe is located, is one of the finest views in the State. It is fast becoming a great shipping point for stock.
(This section is taken from the book "History of Jo Daviess County 1904)
Check out the Stockton Township Records-1800's
Stockton Recollections at its 50th Anniversary
Return to Cities & Townships
Send comments & suggestions to our County Coordinator